Wednesday, April 30, 2008

shoot for ignorance

"Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars." Have you heard this quote or seen it written in bold font on a laminated poster behind the desk of a guidance counselor's office? According to my extensive research--I typed the phrase into Google and believed the first website that came up-- this popular quote is attributed to motivational speaker, Les Brown. Perhaps Les Brown has not heard of Copernicus' heliocentric model of the universe or is a member of the Spanish Inquisition.

I'm not an astronomer, but I've learned this much: The sun is the closest star to the earth and it is much further away than the moon. So if you shoot for the moon and miss, you will not be amongst stars. Instead, you will be floating in a black vacuum and you will die quickly in this lifeless, black vacuum because there will be no air or pressure or Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies to sate your hunger. Maybe that's not inspirational enough to laminate and stick on a wall next to your Ansel Adams print, Les, but at least it's the truth.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/lesbrown383867.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I checked out some of his other quotes, and I have a quote of my own. Les Brown is a fuck-wad.