Thursday, November 13, 2008

Guest Blog: The Civil Book on Knitting

I'm sure very few of you tune into ATKU for its vigorous political exploration just as few people watch TMZ as a guide for spiritual awakening. But here's a guest blog on a topic that deserves attention and I promise the next blog will be back to your standard low brow fare: "Armin Steps in Dog Poop...Again."

*********

Nov 5, 2008

This is a remarkable time in American politics. This is a remarkable time in California politics. In the span of twelve hours, my sense of pride for the national stage has become tinged with a sense of frustration and embarrassment within my state. At the time of this writing, news organizations have begun to acknowledge the success of Proposition 8, which now will explicitly write bigotry into the state constitution of one of the country's most progressive states.

How did this happen? Who is against a state government legally recognizing the decision of an effort between two human beings to build their lives together?

Unlike other hot button political issues, the opponents of same sex marriage fall under an easily identifiable umbrella. Of the 52% of California voters who supported a ban on same sex marriage, I would wager a lot of Armin's money that the respondents overwhelming cited a religious aspect to their decision.

After numerous discussions with people, here is my personal summary of the arguments against gay marriage:

I. Marriage is a sacred (read: religious) institution and it must be protected at all costs.

II. Semantics. The word marriage is a religious one. God (who likely doesn't exist) told his followers that marriage is defined as between a man and a woman (or between a man and a 17 year old woman, a 16 year old woman, and a 12 year old woman in the Mormon definition).

(As an aside, the Mormon Church has sent tens of millions of tax-free dollars in this election to California to ban same sex marriage.)

III. The slippery-slope. If society legitimizes the act of two men living together (or two women for that matter), where does it stop? (Answer: When a man tries to marry his plasma screen television).

IV. Marriage should be set up to produce children. Gay people can't do that. (oh yes they can!)

Do any of the above hold water? Argument I can be easily deconstructed by one simple task: those who cite this should meet my parents. Heterosexuals have been screwing up the sanctity of marriage for centuries. Why can't we let we let gay people have a shot at doing the same thing? Shouldn't religious groups have an even greater political campaign to stop heterosexuals from getting divorced? "I'm sorry Beth. I know your husband beats you to within an inch of your life at least once a week. However, God looks badly on divorce. The Lord wants you to endure the beatings because he has a special place in heaven for you if you do." (Yeah, the intensive care unit.)

Argument III is simply asinine. Isn't this on the list of reasons for why Rick Santorum was voted out of office?

Arguments IV is extremely weak. No one would suggest infertile heterosexual couples shouldn't be together.

Finally, I would like to address Argument II: Semantics. This is undoubtedly the most common argument I have encountered. Many open-minded religious people (yes, even I know that this term is not an oxymoron) tend to use this approach. However, this argument falls flat, too.

It's true, I am not an accomplished etymologist, nor am I even a garden-variety linguist. Even so, I know this: while the word marriage has its roots in religion, it now has been woven into the secular fabric of society.

This marriage-is-a-religious-word argument is also disingenuous. Why so much attention on the word marriage? Why not other religious words, such as damnation, brimstone or myrrh? Oh wait a second... I have one: bible. We can all agree that the word bible is religious in nature. We can all agree that along with the word marriage, bible has bled into our secular lexicon. A search on Amazon.com produces many book titles that have nothing to do with religion. I haven't heard of any religious groups acting to remove such sacred tomes as The Barbeque! Bible or the Knitter's Bible. How could that be? Don't the same people who insist the word marriage is sacred view the word bible as sacred? Shouldn't they call it something else? The Civil Book on Knitting has a much better ring to it, doesn't it?

Aside from one ambiguous dream I had long, long ago, I am a simple heterosexual man. I do not happen to have any really close gay friends that were directly affected by the success of Proposition 8. Instead, I believe in equal rights and a secular country. The fight against same sex marriage has made me realize the tremendous influence religions still have in American life. People have a right to be religious. Religions do not have a right to be political.

And with this experience firmly rooted in my political perspective, I plan on spending the coming decades donating, volunteering and supporting the fight for same sex marriage in any way I can. I see this as the singular issue with many gains for nonreligious people to make. In 2008, religion should be a vestigial part of our society. It had its place in history. It has nothing more than a minimal place in the future.

Mike Calvert
Berkeley, California
michaelgcalvert@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Compelling arguments, to be sure. But, I'd like to offer an atypical and non-offensive (at least to me, I suppose) alternative. How about if government just gets out of the marriage business entirely? I don't think they should recognize gay marriages. But, I also don't think they should recognize heterosexual marriages either. What business is it of theirs? The government should only be allowed to have one label for you, and one label only: "Citizen". O.K., I guess I might also accept the following distinctions from my government: "Minor", "Felon", and "Veteran". But aside from that, I'd really rather that they keep their nose out of my life. I get lots of concerns, but they usually fall into the "so how do we decide who gets my stuff if I die, or who gets to make decisions for me when I'm incapacitated?", to which I just reply "Why not just "Whoever you say"? And to those who say "What happens to all the other benefits?", the only sane reply is: You and your partner decided to call yourself married, if there's any benefit to that, it will be created by you and enjoyed by you." The others argue that "Marriage stabilizes a society." Bull. It's very nearly paralyzed our legal system. Just one man's opinion. I'm fine if you want to call yourself married to anyone. I just don't see why the government needs to be involved in it. - J